Massive Crowd, RAF Deployed at Jantar Mantar for ‘Reservation Hatao’ Protest; Several Detained

1

The Delhi Police, along with the Rapid Action Force (RAF), detained protesters gathered at Jantar Mantar on Friday after they remained at the site beyond the permitted time.

The protest was organised under the banner of “Reservation Hatao Andolan”. Delhi Police had issued a no-objection certificate (NOC) allowing up to 500 people to gather at Ramlila Maidan until 4 pm. However, protesters remained at Jantar Mantar even after the permitted time had expired.

Earlier, the Delhi Police had issued an NOC for a peaceful protest at the capital’s Ramlila Maidan, according to an official communication from the office of the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central District.

The development came amid a digital campaign by “Reservation Hatao Andolan”, an Instagram-based page that has gained traction by adopting protest-mobilisation tactics associated with the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP). The page, which has around 5.6 million Instagram followers, had earlier called for an anti-reservation protest at Jantar Mantar on August 21.

Under the NOC, a maximum of 500 people were permitted to assemble at Ramlila Maidan until 4 pm. Police said they had “no objection” to the gathering from a law-and-order perspective.

The permission followed confusion over whether protesters had been authorised to demonstrate at Jantar Mantar. On Thursday, Delhi Police had denied reports that permission had been granted for a protest at the venue.

“No permission has been granted for any protest, procession, demonstration or assembly at Jantar Mantar,” the Delhi Police said in a statement posted on its official X account.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.