US Imposes 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods as Talks Fail; Carney Vows ‘Dollar-for-Dollar’ Response
The United States on Saturday imposed 50% tariffs on Canadian products worth $20 billion after trade talks between the two countries failed to reach an agreement. Canada swiftly responded, with Prime Minister Mark Carney vowing to match the US tariffs “dollar for dollar.”
The move came despite US President Donald Trump saying that Washington “should be able to have a deal with Canada” and pointing to his “good relationship” with Carney.
US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said Friday that Canada had declined to finalise a trade agreement based on terms discussed earlier in the week. He said Washington had also offered to lower tariffs on sectors including steel and aluminium, according to AFP.
However, Canadian negotiator Dominic LeBlanc said after the talks that the two sides still “have more work to do,” signalling that negotiations had not produced a final agreement.
The latest tariffs mark another escalation in trade tensions between Washington and Ottawa as both governments seek to protect their domestic industries while negotiating a broader trade arrangement.
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.