Dangerous escalation’: India condemns drone strike near UAE’s Barakah nuclear plant, calls for restraint

1

India on Sunday voiced deep concern over the drone strike targeting the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, calling the attack “unacceptable” and warning that it marked a dangerous escalation in the region.

In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs urged all sides to exercise restraint and return to diplomacy to prevent further tensions.

“India is deeply concerned at the attack targeting the Barakah nuclear facility in the UAE. Such actions are unacceptable and represent a dangerous escalation. We urgently call for restraint and a return to dialogue and diplomacy,” the ministry said.

The response followed a drone strike that triggered a fire near the nuclear facility in Abu Dhabi’s Al Dhafra region. According to UAE authorities, the blaze broke out in an electrical generator located outside the plant’s inner perimeter. Officials said no injuries were reported and radiation levels remained unaffected.

The incident drew widespread international condemnation. Saudi Arabia described the strike as a serious threat to regional stability, while Rafael Grossi said any military activity endangering nuclear safety was unacceptable.

Officials in the United Arab Emirates said investigations were underway to determine the source of the drone attack and stressed that the country reserved the right to respond to what it called a “terrorist attack”. A diplomatic adviser to the UAE president termed the strike a dangerous escalation, whether conducted directly or through proxy groups.

The UAE defence ministry said two additional drones had been intercepted and claimed the aircraft were launched from the “western border”, without providing further details.

Saudi Arabia also reported intercepting three drones that it said had entered through Iraqi airspace, warning that it would take all necessary measures to protect its sovereignty and national security.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.