India Advises Citizens to Avoid Non-Essential Travel to Ebola-Hit Countries
India’s Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare on Sunday advised citizens to avoid non-essential travel to Ebola-affected countries, including Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda and South Sudan, following the declaration of the outbreak as a global public health emergency.
In a statement, the ministry said the World Health Organization had classified the situation as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) under the International Health Regulations framework after outbreaks were reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.
The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention has also declared the ongoing outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus as a Public Health Emergency of Continental Security (PHECS).
Health authorities noted that the WHO Emergency Committee recently recommended stronger disease monitoring at international entry points to identify travellers arriving with unexplained fever symptoms from affected regions. The agency also advised against travel to areas where the Bundibugyo virus has been detected.
According to WHO data, the Democratic Republic of the Congo had reported 746 suspected cases and 176 suspected deaths as of May 21. Across the affected regions, 85 confirmed infections, including two cases in Uganda, and 10 confirmed deaths, including one in Uganda, have been recorded.
Neighbouring countries, including South Sudan, are also considered to face a high risk of transmission because of cross-border movement and regional proximity.
Ebola is a severe viral haemorrhagic disease with a high fatality rate. Health authorities said there are currently no approved vaccines or targeted treatments available for the Bundibugyo strain responsible for the current outbreak.
The ministry also clarified that India has not recorded any cases linked to the Bundibugyo strain so far.
Indian citizens currently living in or travelling through affected countries have been advised to closely follow local health guidance and maintain heightened precautions until further notice.
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.