UAE pauses Iran trade after missile launches; Trump reportedly threatened to bomb Oman

0

The United Arab Emirates said Tuesday it had suspended all trade and financial dealings with Iran after accusing Tehran of launching two ballistic missiles towards maritime traffic in the Gulf.

The UAE Defence Ministry said its air defences detected two missiles launched from Iran towards the country. It said one fell outside UAE territorial waters, while the other landed within them.

In a later statement, the ministry said assessments indicated the missiles were targeting maritime navigation and fell into the sea.

Iran rejected the allegations. Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei called the UAE’s accusations “baseless” and denied Tehran was responsible for the reported launches.

The developments came amid heightened tensions around the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial route for global oil and natural gas supplies.

Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump reportedly threatened to bomb Oman over its efforts to reach an agreement with Iran on managing shipping through the strait, two regional officials told the Associated Press.

The officials said Washington objected to parts of the proposed deal, including a plan for Iran and Oman to jointly oversee the route used by ships exiting the strategically important passage.

Trump also said Tuesday that the US was not holding talks with Iran and that no discussions were planned, contradicting his envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner, who had earlier described US-Iran contacts as “very positive and active.”

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump wrote on Truth Social, adding that the US naval blockade remained in force.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.