Two ships carrying 22 Indians hijacked off Yemen, Somalia as piracy threat returns

2

Two commercial vessels carrying a total of 22 Indian nationals have been hijacked in separate incidents off Yemen and Somalia, officials said Thursday, highlighting a renewed piracy threat in waters around the Horn of Africa.

The Eritrea-flagged oil products tanker M.T. Sibu 1, carrying 16 Indians among its 20-member crew, was seized by six armed pirates in the Gulf of Aden, around 30 nautical miles off Yemen’s coast.

Vessel carrying 16 Indians hijacked off Yemen

All 20 crew members were reported safe, according to a report prepared by the Directorate of Maritime Administration, although the latest status of the vessel and its crew remained unclear.

The crew comprises 16 Indian nationals, along with one Syrian, one Sudanese and one Iraqi national. The nationality of another crew member has not yet been confirmed.

The agency responsible for the vessel’s recruitment and placement services has been asked to submit an incident report and provide regular updates through the e-Navik online marine casualty reporting system.

Sumit Kant Singh of SKS Krishiv Marine Services said his company had recruited four members of the crew and had provided their details to maritime authorities.

Second vessel carrying six Indians seized off Somalia

In the second incident, pirates seized the Cameroon-flagged cargo vessel M/V LUTUF off Somalia’s Puntland coast on Monday, according to a Somali official cited by the Associated Press.

The vessel was carrying six Indian nationals among its 10-member crew. It was reportedly seized about 3.5 nautical miles off Marraya in Puntland’s Eyl district before being taken towards the Nugaal coast.

The remaining crew included one Turkish national, one Georgian national and two Serbian security guards.

The vessel, owned by Polar Movement Shipping, was reportedly carrying weapons bound for a Turkish military training facility in Mogadishu, along with communications and satellite equipment.

The Somali official said eight pirates, believed to be linked to a group previously involved in the April hijacking of the M/V Sward, took the vessel towards the coast near Garmaal in Puntland’s Dangoroyo district.

The condition of the LUTUF, its crew and cargo was not immediately known. Turkish authorities had not immediately commented on the incident.

The two hijackings have renewed concerns over maritime security in the Gulf of Aden and waters off Somalia, where piracy had declined significantly after years of international naval patrols and security measures.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.